One Amazing Trip!
It seems I just can't get caught up and stay that way. We are so busy these days and I am usually just worn out in the evenings and can't seem to find time to blog. But I want to!
Intro
Geoff and I went to London and Paris in April, I got to turn 30 in Paris and it was amazing! Geoff turned 31 while we were there, so it was a great birthday celebration for us both. Since Geoff travels for work we were able to use miles to fly first class the whole trip! So the flights themselves were as much a part of the trip as anything! We ate 4 course meals on the plane, watched the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 movie, and reclined in our PJ's and down comforted "beds" to sleep. Seriously, if you have a bucket list, flying international first class needs to be on it!
Ok, so it is impossible to put a trip like this into a single post! Since I am doing it anyways I am obviously leaving out a lot. I do want to share some of the highlights. Geoff planned this trip for us for over a year, and he did an amazing job! He researched everything from our flights, to our amazing hotels, to the sights that we saw, and he was kind enough to include time for me to shop on our itinerary! I love to talk about our trip so if you want to hear more, let's talk.
London
One of the best things about our time in London was speaking English! Well, that was a big help, but one of our best experiences was going to an Evensong choral worship service at Westminster Abby. We only had 2 1/2 days in London, so we had to pick and choose what we could do. You could tour the Abby, but it was pretty expensive. However, they hold choral services everyday, so we checked the time for Saturday, got there a little early and had the best seats in the house! We were literally sitting right beside the choir... the same choir that sang for William and Kate's wedding! Yes, we heard them in person from about 10 feet away! It was so neat worshiping in a place with so much history. We were there as worshippers so no pictures of that, but it's not something I will soon forget.
I also loved going to Bourough Market, a huge outdoor market in Central London, and buying fresh bread, hummus, olives and juice for a picnic lunch. So Yummy! We also went to Hillsong Church London on Palm Sunday morning for church. We were so impressed that out of 300-400 or so people they recognized us as visitors and took us down the street for coffee and conversation after the service. They were so warm and welcoming, and we really had a great time talking with them for about and hour after the service.
First class international flight on Lusthansa
The day we got to London we went on a tour of the city.
Buckingham palace
The guide picked us up in his black cab and showed us all the sights.
Westminster Abby
We saw so much more but I'm trying to do this whole trip in one post since I am so far behind!
Standing beside the Tower of London.
The Queens jewels are kept here!
The Queens jewels are kept here!
We spent a morning exploring the Churchill War Rooms.
It was fascinating to learn about how Churchill managed WWII from those rooms.
We saw this play on opening night at Hempstead Theatre. It was terrific!
And the London city marathon took place the Sunday we were there!
We would have run, but we really wanted to go worship at Hillsong Church London,
so we did that instead :)
Worship on Palm Sunday at Hillsong.
Our huge room that we got upgraded to in London! We stayed at Grosvenor House in Mayfair.
We traveled on the Eurostar between London and Paris which passes underneath the English Channel.
Paris
We had an American expatriate (who just obtained French citizenship) give us a private tour on our first day in Paris. It was great because not only did she show us amazing parts of the city, she also gave us pointers about using the metro and some phrases that would help us get along with Parisians. We felt much more acclimated after our time with her and were ready to venture out on our own. It was amazing to see how old things are and how much history Paris has. It is truly a beautiful city and it helped that we had the most gorgeous sunny and 70's weather the whole time we were there.
The Louvre was huge and impressive. I loved going but would have liked it if I could read some French or perhaps just knew more art history :). Part of the adventure was that we didn't speak the language and had to manage to make due on our own. We definitely had an adventure when we were pretty lost and confused trying to go to Versailles. Turns out you have to use a different Metro with different tickets to go to the "suburb" type areas. It took about twice as long to get there as it should, but we finally made it with the help of this very nice lady who spoke a little English!
Paris is an incredible city for walking. Every corner you turn reveals a picturesque landscape. We loved walking down the banks of the Seine, the many parks, broad avenues and the narrow alleys.
On to Paris, much smaller but beautiful room at the Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero.
We got another private tour in Paris. We went to La Sainte-Chapelle on the Ill de la Cite where the royalty worshiped. It was consecrated almost 763 years before the day of our visit (April 26, 1248).
Notre Dame de Paris
Huge and amazing!
The back of Notre Dame
Rooftop view out over the city from the Arab World Institute.
Eiffel Tower
Courtyard view of the Louvre.
Mona Lisa and I
I wasn't going to push through the mob to get closer.
We really loved the section depicting the history of the Louvre.
We returned to our room on the afternoon of my birthday and the hotel had left us champagne and a birthday card.
Birthday dinner at Les Ombres, which sits on a roof terrace of the museum Quai Branly and offers panoramic views of the Eiffel Tower. After dinner we spent about 45 minutes just sitting on the terrace and taking in the view.
The amazing gardens at Chateau de Versailles. We ate lunch out here and just wandered the gardens on a beautiful day! These gardens are huge and incredible and worth the very long wait to get in!
We went through the inside of the overcrowded palace smushed like sardines,
I'm sure it was amazing but I really only saw the heads of the people in front of me, not so fun!
We ended our time in Paris by walking along the Seine.
The Food
I have to devote an entire paragraph to the amazing food we ate. I don't think we had a single bad meal in Paris. Breakfast came with our hotel so we ate yummy fruit and croissants and coffee, and Geoff enjoyed smoked salmon with cheese every single morning. Our first night in Paris we ate at a Bistro down the street from our hotel that served pizza with egg on it that was probably the best pizza we had ever had! We enjoyed yummy crepes and pastries and gelato for afternoon snacks. One of our very best meals was on our last day in Paris. We were shopping in Marais and passed a restaurant tucked back in an alley that was packed. This is always an indicator of good food because the locals go where the food is good! Most of the restaurants had some English on the menu or a separate English menu. We had seen enough English under the French throughout our time that we had picked up on some French words, which came in handy. This particular restaurant had no English anywhere, and when we asked our waiter spoke none. We looked at the specials written on a chalk board, picked out a few words that we knew (and would like) and ordered, without being completely positive what we had ordered. It was fun waiting to see what would come out, and both of our lunches were great! (The restaurant's name is Le Loir Dans la Theiere for those who are in the neighborhood.)
Our picnic lunch from Borough Market.
Chocolate Easter Eggs in a pâtisserie.
My birthday cake!
(from a bakery down the street from our hotel - the inside was chocolate mouse!)
Evidence of successfully ordering from an all-frence menu in Marais.
Nutella crepe in St. Germain des Pres.
Closing ThoughtsThe best part of the trip was having this adventure with my best friend! Geoff and I had a great time exploring new cities together and just spending time focusing on each other. We had lots of great conversations and made wonderful memories! We firmly believe that our kids will be much better off if their mom and dad have a great relationship. Stability in our marriage gives them security as well as a happy home. It was hard being away from Quinn and Riley for so long - well it was easy at first - we all need a break sometimes, but I definitely started missing them. However, they were in great hands with their grandparents, and had so much fun with them!
Thank you Nana, Papa, Grammie, Pop, and Aunt Jean for truly making this trip possible. We couldn't have gone without you volunteering to care for our children. Oh, and having Quinn and Riley come meet us at the airport when we got home was such a sweet reunion!
Geoff and I made plans to return to Paris (by ourselves) for my 60th birthday, so I only have 30 years until I go there again!










3 comments:
I have just read your post about London. I've got to go soon, but I'll be back to read the rest. What an awesome trip. How lovely that one of the highlights for you was worshipping there. I haven't been overseas much, but when I went to Rwanda, one of my highlights was attending mass in a tiny little room. It was said by a friend of a good friend and he was saying his first mass in English for my friends and me.
You are blessed.
I know this sounds crazy to most people, but I have never had a desire to go to Europe at all, but reading your post changes my mind! So glad you guys had a good time!
Hey - soooo jealous of you guys' trip! Great post and pics! When I get the chance to go to Europe one day, I will definitely be giving you guys a call for suggestions...
Post a Comment